Bachelor of Catalan Language
The aim of the Bachelor of Catalan Language is to educate multi-purpose professionals and provide them with a solid basis of knowledge and skills in the discipline, enabling them to conduct professional activity in the field of the Catalan language.
These studies provide comprehensive and versatile education with high academic and inter-disciplinary rigour with the study of subjects such as literature, history, didactics and socio-linguistics, placing emphasis on the new forms of work resulting from the intensive use of information and knowledge technologies.
The Bachelor of Catalan Language is evaluated and accredited by the AQUA (Andorran Agency for the Quality of Higher Education), which ensures its quality and European recognition. Students who pass these courses can obtain a Bachelor of Catalan Language, a state qualification issued by the Andorran Government.
EHEA’s first cycle
online, in partnership with the UOC
180 European credits
Start in September or February
The qualification, which is offered in partnership with the UOC (Open University of Catalonia), is adapted to bachelor’s degree studies (3 academic years) and includes specific contents to understand the linguistic and literary reality of Andorra and the Pyrenees.
The possibility of obtaining the UdA-UOC double degree with the completion of 60 additional credits.
The education includes subjects to perfect English and French and to reinforce the student’s communicative competencies in these languages.
The students can choose from a wide range of optional subjects to define their own teaching pathways.
The online modality of this qualification can be suited to each student’s lifestyle and allows them to combine studies and professional activity.
Applicants must hold one of the following qualifications:
- Andorran high school diploma
- Andorran Advanced Professional Diploma
- University entrance exam for people over the age of 25
Or an equivalent qualification, recognised by Government of Andorra.
Students who obtain the Bachelor of Catalan Language at the University of Andorra will be able to achieve the following competencies, among others:
- To understand the cultural tradition of Andorra and the Pyrenees.
- To identify the framework of the language, its theoretical background and its original contributions to studies and works.
- To identify the relationships between linguistics and other human, social and experimental sciences and, at the same time, characterise the features that distinguish it and make it unique as a science.
- To analyse texts in Catalan and other languages at the different structural levels.
- To learn about history, literary movements, works and the main authors of literature in Catalan, including literature produced in Andorra and the Pyrenees.
- To analyse and critically comment from a theoretical perspective and to compare literary works, texts, discourses and phenomena.
- To relate literary texts and their social and cultural reality.
- To understand the relationships that different social and geographical groups establish with the languages.
- To understand the process of education in “literary languages” and modern standards.
- To design and carry out language training and planning initiatives.
- To understand and apply the basic principles of language didactics.
- To apply the knowledge of language, literature, language and language processing to specific activities in the fields of language counselling and cultural industries.
The syllabus of the Bachelor of Catalan Language includes compulsory subjects (162 European credits) and optional subjects (18 European credits).
This syllabus is offered in partnership with the UOC (Open University of Catalonia). The teaching of most of the subjects (162 European credits) is conducted in the other university’s virtual learning platform, except for the specific subjects on Andorra (18 European credits), which are taught in the University of Andorra’s virtual learning platform.
The specific subjects on Andorra are:
- Didactics of the Catalan language
- Language and literature in Andorra and the Pyrenees
- End-of-degree thesis
|SEMESTERS||SUBJECTS (taught in Catalan)||CREDITS||TOTAL|
|1||Language, culture and society||6||30|
|Introduction to literature studies||6|
|Introduction to language sciences||6|
|IT literacy in Catalan language and literature||6|
|Modern Language I: English / French||6|
|2||Latin Language. Language, literature and culture||6||30|
|Introduction to European literature||6|
|Modern Language II: English / French||6|
|XIXth Century Catalan Literature||6|
|Catalan Language: Structure and use||6|
|XXth Century Catalan literature||6|
|Catalan Language Set of rules||6|
|Theory of Literature||6|
|4||Multilingualism and education||6||30|
|Modern Catalan Literature||6|
|History of the Catalan Language||6|
|Medieval Catalan Literature||6|
|Catalan Language and Digital Technologies||6|
|5||Literature, Culture and Society in Catalonia||6||30|
|Language and Literature in Andorra and the Pyrenees||6|
|Didactics of the Catalan Language||6|
|6||Language Policy and Planning||6||30|
|Catalan Language: Phonetics,Pphonology and Morphology||6|
The Bachelor of Catalan Language educates multi-purpose professionals capable of suitably conducting activity in different fields related to language in today’s society.
The professions for the practise of which the graduates will be qualified include the following:
- Teaching of the Catalan language.
- Linguistic support and advice.
- Management of editorial projects and linguistic policy and cultural management.
- Adult education support in Catalan language and literature.
- Oral and written expression techniques.
This bachelor provides access to second cycle studies (master’s degrees) in the countries in the European Higher Education Area.
This bachelor, with 60 additional credits, allows students to obtain the qualification of the corresponding Spanish degree of the Open University of Catalonia, provided that the requirements for access to the qualifications of the Spanish State are met.
Pre-enrolment from November to January and from March to August.