Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Image Alt

Access to the country and immigration

Access to the country

The Principality of Andorra is not a member of the Schengen Area and thus does not require a visa, but the country is subject to European Union customs controls and entry is through Spain or France.

Therefore, people from a country in the Schengen Area do not need to complete any formalities to enter Andorra. However, a citizen of a third country traveling to Andorra must, if required by Spain or France, apply for a multi-entry Schengen visa, through the consulate / embassy of one of these two countries (depending on the country of entry).



Immigration permit

Once in Andorra, because the country does not belong to the European Union, one must request a residence permit through the Immigration Service. Students must request a permit called an Immigration authorisation for studies, internships, top-level sports training or research (procedure F). This means that the student must have requested certain documents in their home country before coming. Cross-border students (residing outside of Andorra) do not need to complete this procedure, even though they do need to carry out training internships in the country.

Please note that this immigration permit authorizes you to work in Andorra but only for a maximum of 20 hours per week and in jobs related to the studies being carried out or in strategic or priority sectors for the country (article 30.7 of  Law 9/2012, of 31 May, amending the Qualified Immigration Law) (in Catalan)

Official required documentation (Immigration Service’s requirements) (in Catalan)

Summary of the main documents required by the Immigration Service (for guidance only):
Documents to have acquired in the home country:
  • National identity document or passport: original and photocopy
  • 1 recent colour photograph (size 35×40 mm)
  • Criminal record certificate from the country of origin, the country of nationality (if different from the first) and from all the countries of residence, past and present (if they are different from the first two).
  • Civil status certificate
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Bank certificate proving that the student’s financial means are greater than or equal to the minimum salary in Andorra during the study period (check here the minimum wage per month).
Documents to process once in Andorra:
  • Proof of enrolment at the University of Andorra for the current academic semester together with the academic calendar and the degree study programme
  • Photocopy of the rental agreement, hotel certificate or city hall registration certificate (for cross-border students)

Please note: Immigration regulations may change. You must always confirm this information with the Immigration Service: Information on the Immigration Service’s requirements (in Catalan)


  For more information, please contact the International Programmes Service