Energy Saving Measures
In September 2022, the Government of Andorra approved a package of measures to make society aware of the need to adopt austerity patterns and energy saving, which are applicable to all public bodies, including the University of Andorra. The measures are aimed for saving energy during winter months, to avoid the increase of energy prices, but they also want to be the necessary solid basis for a rational and sustainable energy management. The immediate implementation measures are the following:
- Keep the air conditioning off whenever possible.
- Close doors and windows if the air conditioning is running.
- The temperature of the air conditioning must be at least 26 ºC during warm months.
- The temperature of the air conditioning must be at most 20 ºC during cold months.
- Do not use individual climate control devices.
- Keep artificial lighting off whenever possible.
- Turn off the light before leaving each room or premises.
- Keep artificial lighting off in areas where there is natural light.
- The exterior lighting of the buildings will be turned off at 8 p.m.
Electrical, electronic and computer devices
- Keep devices off when not using them.
- Unplug devices that do not have power switch when not using them.
- Turn off or unplug the devices that are not essential (chargers, printers, televisions…) at the end of the working day.
In addition to the measures of obligatory compliance enacted by the Government, the University of Andorra presents a list of commitments addressed to the university community to contribute to the planet sustainability. This collection is the result of the proposals emerged from the first edition of the competition ‘What can the UdA do for the climate’ carried out during the spring of 2022:
Energy saving commitments
- Turn off the lights, air conditioning and electronic devices of the classroom and offices when no one is there.
- Set your computer screen saver to black and set that it activates after 10 minutes of inactivity.
- Whenever possible, use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Turn off the camera in virtual meetings and video calls whenever possible.
Water saving commitments
- Turn off taps without automatic push button when you are not using them.
- If you wash the dishes in the office, open the tap only when you rinse them.
- Do not use the toilet as a waste bin, this way you will save water and you will also reduce the pollution of the seabed.
- Do not waste water from the fountains in the building.
Paper saving commitments
- Print only documents that are absolutely necessary and prioritize digital formats.
- Strengthen double side printing and reuse single side used papers.
- Use old papers to take notes.
- Place defective photocopies in paper bins to reuse.
- Use paper containers to deposit the final waste (no staples, clips, etc.).
Waste prevention commitments
- Use the correct containers that you can find throughout the building (paper, plastic and packaging, batteries, etc.).
- Use reusable water bottles, cups, cutlery and plates.
- Before acquiring new items or use new material, make sure you can repair or reuse another one.
- In meetings or events, use glass jar refilled with water from the fountains.
Sustainable mobility commitments
- Come on foot.
- Come by bicycle.
- Use public transport.
- Car sharing.
Telework or studying from home commitments
- Print only necessary documents.
- Benefit from natural light.
- Use low consumption light bulbs.
- Recycle and reuse all the material that you use.
- Make rational use of your air conditioning systems (comfortable dressing does not mean to wear short sleeve in winter).